18 Apr 2019

CPL Rd3 report

CPL Rd3 report

Author: Canterbury Hockey  /  Categories: News  / 
In what was an exciting weekend of hockey, the Southern United Stingers hang on to the Challenge Shield for another week, while the Carlton Redcliffs women produced the biggest win of the season.


University vs Hornby
The first game of the day on the men’s side of the draw saw the University lads taking on the Hornby Vipers and what a match that was. The game started with both sides having plenty of chances, Peter Anderson blowing a chance to put the students ahead after missing a penalty stroke. The Vipers were the first to get onto the scoreboard after a well worked penalty corner found a deflector in front of the goal. The students struck back shortly after with a goal of their own, with a defensive error setting up Sam Mark for an uncontested shot at goal from the top of the circle. The game then remained deadlocked until late in the third quarter when the students managed to breach the Hornby defence once again, with Amon van der Burg finding the back of the net. Another goal late in the fourth quarter to full back James Mortimer all but sealed the victory for the students. A win for the Students sees them leapfrog Hornby and Marist into 3rd equal on the table, while the Vipers slip to the bottom of the table alongside Carlton Redclifffs.
University: 3 Hornby: 1

Harewood vs Novus Glass Marist
The second game of the day had the Harewood Hunters coming up against the Marist Musketeers. Harewood came out the gates fast, earning themselves a penalty stroke, which was converted calmly by Matt Ling. Harewood stretched their lead shortly after that with Garren Fyfe finding the back of the net. Marist gained back some control in the second and third quarters with goals going to both George Connell and James Whitehouse, but it was youngster Gus Wakeling who stole the show in the last minutes of the game, slotting the game winner for Harewood and locking in 3 points on the points table. The win to Harewood puts the Hunters into the second spot on the table 3 points clear of third, while Marist slip to 6th with only three points to show from their first three games.
Harewood: 3 Marist: 2

Southern United vs helloworld Fendalton Avon
The third game of the day saw the Challenge shield match-up between the Southern United Stingers and the lads from Avon. Avon started the game well with Levi Barrow slotting a trademark Barrow sweep in the first 5 minutes of the game to put Avon ahead. Floating full back Hugh Hendrickson then equalised for Stingers 5 minutes later when the ball popped out to him in front of an open goal. The Stingers then took the lead just before half time with a well-placed drag flick from PC specialist Ryan Cosgrove. Plenty of chances went to both sides in the second half, most notably a missed penalty stroke by veteran Rob Buhler for Avon. The game remained 2-1 till the end, with the Stingers hanging onto the Challenge Shield for another week. Three from three sees the Stingers firmly at the head of the pack, with Harewood nipping at their heels, while Avon joins University and HSOB/Burnside in 3rd equal.
Southern United: 2 Avon: 1

Carlton Redcliffs vs HSOB/Burnside
The final match of the day had Carlton Redcliffs facing off with HSOB/Burnside. In what was a very tight match, Old boys were the first to break the deadlock, striker Warwick Allen slotting it home. Reddos replied in quick succession with a great PC variation that found an unmarked Redcliffs lad outside the right post. The two teams went into the half locked at 1-all. Tom Leov was the man to break this lock after he found himself on the end of a counter-attack mid-way through the third quarter. Redcliffs once again answered back with another PC goal, with the same variation being used. The final quarter of the game was hard fought but neither team could find a game winner. A draw sees HSOB grab their 4th point for the season and a share of 3rd, while a solitary point from this match ensures that Carlton Redcliffs remain at the bottom of the table alongside Hornby.
Carlton Redcliffs: 2 HSOB/Burnside: 2


Carlton Redcliffs v HSOB/Burnside
The opening game of the round on saw the in-form Carlton Redcliffs girls take on the Burnside Babes. The Reddos girls produced a masterclass in attacking hockey and the score reflected their ability. Reddos opened up the scoring when Jenna-Rae McIntyre slotted two goals in the space of 3 minutes, and they then went on to score 4 unanswered goals before Burnside managed to snag one back just before the break. Unfortunately for the Babes Reddos continued to run riot in the second half, scoring a further 3 goals before the full time hooter to win 9-1. A third straight win puts the Reindeer comfortably at the top of the table alongside Marist but with a much superior goal difference, while HSOB/Burnside hold onto the wooden spoon with Southern United after securing no points from the first three rounds of the competition.
Carlton Redcliffs: 9 HSOB/Burnside: 1

Novus Glass Marist v Harewood
The big match-up of the day on the women’s side saw the young Marist Mermaids take on Harewood at Nga Puna Wai. Harewood opened the scoring with Jessie Anderson finding the net from a direct shot from the left. An injury to Harewood defender Millie Calder threw a spanner in the works for the Harewood defence, which Marist pounced on earning themselves a penalty corner and subsequently converting it. Marist put away another goal in the second quarter to take the lead going into the half-time break. The Mermaids continued their dominance in the third quarter, scoring an additional two goals, before finding the net for the 5th time in the last quarter to run out convincing winners over 2018 champions Harewood. A third consecutive win for the Mermaids puts them equal first with Carlton Redcliffs at the top of the points table, while Harewood have only managed a solitary point from their first two matches and sit at 4th equal with the Hornby Tigers.
Marist: 5 Harewood: 1

H&B Avon Eels v Southern United
The final game of the round had the new look Eels team taking on the Stars at Nga Puna Wai. A match that looked to be relatively tight game on paper, proved to be a one-sided affair on the field with the Avon Eels running away with the goods. Anna Wetherall proved her worth with two goals in the first half, her first for Avon after returning to the Mainland from Auckland. Sarah Walcott added another to the score before Bella Forbes received the ball outside the 25yd, carried to the circle and smashed home a reverse stick shot to add the final nail to the Southern coffin. The win sees Avon comfortably into third spot on the table with 6 points, comfortably ahead of 4th spot sitting on 1 point. While a third straight loss for Southern sees them languishing at the bottom of the table with HSOB/Burnside.
Avon: 4 Southern United 0

Number of views (387)      Comments (0)