8 May 2018

PC Rd2 report

PC Rd2 report

Author: Canterbury Hockey  /  Categories: News  / 
Photos courtesy of Geoff Sopher 

There were some cracker games over the weekend in the second round of the Bealey’s Ale House CPL and some great opportunities for players from Div 1 to be promoted to the big stage due to the absence of the U21 men and women.


Harewood v Southern United
First up on the women’s side of Porritt Cup was the Pool 1 clash between Harewood and the Southern United Stars. The Stars were still searching for their first win of the season and needed a full team effort for 70 minutes if they were to have any chance of upsetting defending champions Harewood. But the Huntresses, despite being plagued by injury, illness, flight delays and the absence of their U21 girls were just too good on the day and dominated the Stars right from the opening whistle. Heading into the halftime break the Harewood girls were well in control with 5 goals on the scorecard, Jordy Grant, Charlotte Lee and Abby Lennon finding the back of the net before Kacie Austin chimed in with a double just before the break. Southern fought back in the second half, and played with more structure and determination to restrict the blue and reds to just two goals, a second field goal to Abby Lennon and a PC shot from Katherine Lobb that saw the Huntresses finish out the match with a 7-0 win.
Harewood: 7 (Abby Lennon 2, Kacie Austin 2, Jordy Grant, Charlotte Lee, Katherine Lobb) Southern United: 0

The Marist girls had the bye in Pool 1.

H&B Avon v Hornby
With both Avon and Hornby suffering big losses last weekend and drawing 0-0 when they met in CPL, this match-up in Pool 2 was all about which team could put together a consistent performance and grab maximum points. For long periods of the game the Avon girls controlled possession and territory but were unable to make the most of their opportunities as they were met by solid Hornby resistance, until Sarah Walcott found her way through the defence scored for Avon with an excellent reverse stick shot from the top of the circle. Hornby replied soon after with a well taken goal by Emily Wallace which saw the teams go into the halftime break locked up at 1-1. Hornby then made the most of their opportunities in the 3rd quarter, scoring twice off two well executed penalty corners, Tania Mann and Stephanie Murphy the scorers. Avon closed the lead by one in the final quarter after a good build up play by Jackie Eden was finished off by Cath Parata, but Hornby hung on in the frantic last minutes to record their first win of the season.
Hornby: 3 (Emily Wallace, Tania Mann, Stephanie Murphy) Avon: 2 (Sarah Walcott, Cath Parata)

Carlton Redcliffs v HSOB/Burnside
The other game in Pool 2 saw the Carlton Redcliffs girls up against HSOB/Burnside. Carlton Redcliffs, with only two players away at U21s, were near full strength and determined to reverse the result from last time these two team met in round 3 of CPL, while HSOB/Burnside were without five of their key players. And this game proved to be the opposite of that last match-up with Reddos controlling the game and running out winners 3-1, Jenna McIntyre, Sophie Cocks and Leah Butt scoring for Carlton Redcliffs, while Sian Fremaux netted a consolation goal for HSOB/Burnside.
Carlton Redcliffs: 3 (Jenna McIntyre, Sophie Cox, Leah Butt) HSOB/Burnside: 1 (Sian Fremaux)


Hornby v Southern United
The first game of Pool 1 saw Hornby face off against Southern United. The Vpiers were hyped up after their victory last week and gunning for another three points, but it was Southern who started the stronger of the two and found themselves in front halfway through the first quarter after a Liam Sharp field goal. The Stingers turned it up another notch early in the second quarter scoring twice more, Ryan Cosgrove and Cameron Douglas slotting home, before Hornby finally found the net with 2 minutes left in the half, Alex Lawry rocketing one into the bottom corner making it 1-3 at the break. Hornby came out firing in the 3rd quarter and were rewarded when Corey Paterson scored to put Southern under pressure. The fourth quarter seesawed with both teams trying to find ascendancy, and with 5 minutes up on the clock Sam Fitzgerald levelled the scores with a fine drag flick to set up an edge of the seat final 10 minutes. Ryan Cosgrove found the winner for Southern with 7 minutes remaining and the Stingers has a nervous wait for the final whistle.
Southern United: 4 (Ryan Cosgrove 2, Liam Sharp, Cameron Douglas) Hornby: 3 (Alex Lawry, Corey Paterson, Sam Fitzgerald)

Harewood v HSOB/Burnside
The other game in Pool 1 saw the Harewood Hunters come up against the HSOB/Burnside lads. Both teams had players away at U21s, Harewood with 5 and HSOB missing 4, and as a result the first quarter was a scrappy display as both sides struggled to hold on to the ball while working with unfamiliar connections. The only goal of the quarter fell to Ryan Cocking who put Harewood ahead 1-0. Quarter 2 continued in similar fashion before Angus McGregor’s drag flick fired home to see the scores even heading into halftime. The Hunters then played with more control in the third quarter which resulted in two more goals, the first a classy Hayden Cox deflection and the second from Nic Christeller, who had an outstanding game up front for the Harewood boys. Both teams worked hard in the last quarter but it was Harewood who scored again, Andrew Sherratt scooping the ball into the top of the net to see the game finish 4-1.
Harewood: 4 (Ryan Cocking, Hayden Cox, Nic Christeller, Andrew Sherratt) HSOB/Burnside: 1 (Angus McGregor)

Marist v Carlton Redcliffs
The first game in Pool 2 had the Marist Musketeers up against Carlton Recliffs on Marist’s home turf. Both teams came off wins last weekend and were looking to carry on their winning ways and grab maximum points from this match. Carlton started the better of the two and struck early with a goal to Lars Dalley. From then on it was a fast paced match with play swinging from end to end and no team gaining any particular dominance. Both teams created a number of opportunities but good goal keeping and strong defence from both sides prevented any more goals. The win puts Carlton Redcliffs at the top of Pool 2 and a win against Avon in round 3, when Porritt Cup returns in July, will put them straight into the final.
Carlton Redcliffs: 1 (Lars Dalley) Marist: 0

Helloworld Avon v University
The second game of Pool 2 saw the University lads face off against Avon in the last match of the day. University were looking for a better performance this week after a disappointing loss to Reddos in round 1 while Avon were smarting after their goalless draw with Marist last weekend. In another end-to-end game that produced opportunities for both sides the scores remained locked up 0-0 at halftime due to some excellent goalkeeping at both ends, Tom Tremain and Will Zhou to the fore! Avon finally broke the deadlock in the third quarter, Rob Buhler converting a penalty corner by firing the ball into the roof of the net. Elliott Darling then added a second with a reverse stick finish from a wide angle, while the third was completed when the Barrow Boys combined catching the Uni defence napping and Levi finding the net. With the Uni team depleted due to U21 duties, Will Zhou was outstanding in the goal and prevented a score blowout, while the 6 lads who stepped up from Div 1 took the pressure of Premier hockey in their stride.
Avon: 3 (Rob Buhler, Elliott Darling, Levi Barrow) University: 0

Number of views (1351)      Comments (0)